Saturday, February 5, 2011

First Days

I am here, safe and sound in Paraguay! It`s such a beautiful country, although, forgive the expression, ``hot as hell!``  Almost as soon as we landed in Paraguay, the work began.  I am struggling to master 2 languages, Spanissh and Guarani as well as integrate myself into Paraguayn Culture. 

The first thing I learned is how to prepare, serve, and drink Terrere.  Terrere is essentially iced tea made out of yerba mate and juyos (herbs that are said to have medicinal propety). At the risk of boring all my readers to death, I won`t describe the custom of making, serving, and drinking Terrere.    Just know that is a customary way to pass the time with others and it`s very refreshing. 

Two days ago, I moved into my host family`s house. Mom, Dad, you`ve been replaced (just kidding). My host mom is a hair stylelist and an excelent cook.  She braids my hair every morning before I go to school and says that it`s just like doing Jennifer Aniston`s hair.  I also have a host dad thaknow absolutly everything there is to know about Paraguay and South America.   I also have 3 host siblings, 2 boys (10 and 12) and a girl (9) who love it when them. The middle child says that he wants to marry someone just like me.   

2 comments:

  1. Yay! You're there! Enjoy learning as much as your can -- and do get enough sleep. Love, Ahmee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living with a family is the best way to get integrated into your new home. It sounds like you are off to a great beginning.

    Coralee

    ReplyDelete