Sunday, March 27, 2011

Running, Reading, and other strange things I do in Paraguay

I’ve started running everyday just before it gets dark. Running is weird in Paraguay! During my first run in Paraguay, a bunch of the students in the class that I teach started running behind me. One of them asked who was chasing me. In Paraguay, the only reason to run is because someone is chasing you. 
I am also reading a lot. It’s a nice way to spend a few hours relaxing. No one reads in Paraguay, and it’s an ideal way to mark yourself out as a foreigner, as if it wasn’t already obvious. Books are very expensive in Paraguay and hard to find outside of big cities so I am reading whatever happens to show up at the training center.  I’ve read some very good books including The 19th Wife and Tears of a Giraffe, but on the other hand I’ve also read some not so good books. The one I just finished reading is called The Whole Truth....it’s so bad but it’s weirdly very hard to put down.  I am almost envious of the trainees who have Kindles, Nooks, and Ipads cause they can download good books. Oh well, I will have access to the volunteer library in 3 weeks and it is much better stocked.

No comments:

Post a Comment