Saturday, March 19, 2011

Mandioca ass and other happenings in Paraguay

What a week....I am so glad that it’s Friday! It My week hasn’t been bad, just long. First, my host family told me I had chicken pox because I have itchy red dots on my back. I think that they’re bug bites, but my host family is freaking out. Second, I went to work in another volunteer’s site. He lives in a very urban site right outside of Asuncion. My language group and I did six charlas in three days. A charla consisted of an icebreaker, an activity, and a discussion about the activity. Third, while working in the volunteer’s site, I stayed with another host family. They were awesome. One day, I came home and my host sister goes “you’re looking really fat today”.....umm thanks was about all I could say.  And one night, they served me something and refused to tell me what it was until I’d eaten it all, it turned out to be morcial which is sausage made with cow’s blood.   Finally, while crossing the ruta, I got hit by a moto. Luckily, I’m fine, just a little bruised. 
After all of that I am in the mood to vent, so here is a list of absolutely ridiculous Paraguayan beliefs:
  1. Lime juice cancels out calories (one of my neighbors is overweight and she puts lime juice on everything so that she can eat what she wants and not gain any weight....if only it were that simple)
  2. If you sleep with a cat, you won’t get pregnant (hopefully that is not the preferred method of birth control in Paraguay)
I will clearly be adding to this list

No comments:

Post a Comment